Fresh Food: The Speedy Mexican Wrap
Every week when I send out a coaching program, or as part of our online coaching nutrition elements, I strive to share meals that make eating fresh delicious food simple and addictive! Once you have tasted fresh crunchy vegetables and the best mix of ingredients that bring a dish to life – it’s hard to eat processed foods and even eat out as much. You start to get picky with your own fresh food.
I’m about to finish my book after 10 years of running Life’s a Gym and helping people get their health and fitness mojo back. So I thought I would start sharing some of the top picks from clients across the globe, and the meals they’ve loved the most. All of these are very simple, fast and effective balanced meals. Ingredients has been kept as simple as possible to ensure you can grab items from any local store and without breaking your budget.
Be warned, I have a habit of naming dishes, smoothies and juices, so while the title may look odd – it will taste great!
Here is “The Speedy Mexican Wrap”
Ideal for: super busy people and those with families, flatmates or partners they want to impress
- Is also budget friendly and sustainable friendly with the added bonus of being completely vegetarian and vegan if you so desire
- Great for kids as well as you can get them involved in the kitchen and encourage them to add a small amount of each ingredient for a colourful plate
What You’ll Need: (Organic or farmers market if you can – the less carbon footprint your food travels the fresher and better it is)
- Red onion
- Refried Beans
- Lime or lemons
- Fresh alfalfa sprouts
- Home made salsa with tomatoes, onion and cracked pepper & capsicums
- Grated goats cheese or a hard cheese is optional
- Finely chopped fresh chilli
- Gluten Free wraps or equivalent (You can use cos lettuce as wraps if you want to avoid bread altogether)
- Try adding grilled tofu as an extra protein source too.
- For meat lovers you can have grilled fish, chicken or beef for example – my advice would be to check with your butcher or fish shop that it is really organic and ensure that you are not supporting mass production and not eating hormone filled meat. All part of conscious living if you can.
- Macadamia Oil – Brookfarm from Byron Bay make amazing oils infused with chilli too!
The How To:
1. Wash all your raw foods in filtered water and dry off.
NOTE: Set aside a portion of avocado, red onion, coriander, lime and tomato to make your fresh guacamole (add some fresh chilli as well pending your taste).
2. Chop up all ingredients and serve lined up on a platter, giant plate or chopping board. Small dishes are also fine so people can help themselves when building their own Speedy Mexican Wrap.
3. Place you the guacamole ingredients, chopped and ready to go into a small food processor or blender. Add lime juice, cracked pepper and whizz up until smooth.
- Note it’s not crucial to use a blender. You can finely chop all the ingredients for your guacamole and mix well into a smooth consistency with a wooden spoon. Chop the red onion finely otherwise it can be too strong.
- If you have made this earlier, then drizzle with extra lemon or lime juice, cover and place in the fridge.
4. Heat the re-fried beans as per directions. Set aside ready to use. Prepare your meat as per desire (grilled is best).
5. Prepare a grill pan and drizzle with Macadamia oil and chopped coriander, quickly grill the wraps each side till just toasted and then serve up on a wooden board for people to help themselves.
6. Set everything out for you – or your guests/family/friends to devour.
Go crazy and make your own wrap.
Hope you like this recipe. It’s great to add your own twist as well.
Health & Happiness